What should happen if the DNS resolution does not result in the expected
number of peers either? How would a deliberate shrinking or growing of a
cluster work?

Another solution I have seen (e.g. in Cassandra) is to have a cluster
identity, such as a cluster name. Instances would refuse to talk to other
instances if they announce the wrong cluster name.

There could be a default cluster name (or a special case for when it's
empty), so that it doesn't change anything for single-cluster use cases. It
should also support the transition from older versions, or no cluster name,
to a named cluster, with a rolling restart.

/MR