Hi all,

Currently, the Prometheus Receiver component of the OpenTelemetry Collector
(https://github.com/open-telemetry/opentelemetry-collector-contrib/tree/main/receiver/prometheusreceiver)

takes a Prometheus config, uses the Prometheus packages to scrape the
metrics, and forwards them as OTLP metrics through the OpenTelemetry
Collector pipeline. We would like to reuse the Prometheus Web UI to allow
easier troubleshooting for scrape configs with the Config, Targets, and
Service Discovery pages.

I have a working prototype that uses the React assets. A webHandler is
created in the Receiver code using the Prometheus web package, and the
ScrapeManager that's already used in the Receiver is passed to the
webHandler. I have started the conversation on the OpenTelemetry Collector
Prometheus Receiver side:
https://github.com/open-telemetry/wg-prometheus/issues/63, but I also
wanted to bring up in this forum some limitations.

Right now for the prototype I have, I am building the react app from the
Prometheus repo and copying these static files into the directory where I
am running the modified OpenTelemetry Collector. It would be great to have
an NPM package for the UI so that it could be built or accessed in the
OpenTelemetry Collector repo. Another option would be using the golang
embed package to have these files embedded in the Prometheus UI golang
package. There is an open PR to introduce this
https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/9380/files, but I believe the
built react app files would need to be checked into the Prometheus repo for
this to work for outside code using it.

Thank you,
Grace Wehner