And to add to this, for the case of managed MySQL where the sidecar is not
possible, we can add multi-target exporter support.

https://prometheus.io/docs/guides/multi-target-exporter/

There's a partial implementation of this in a PR on the exporter, but the
author has not responded to feedback requests.