On Tue, 24 May 2022 at 15:38, 'Fabian Stäber' via Prometheus Developers <
prometheus-developers@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hi Developers,
>
> Reviewing the Created timestamps for Summary metrics, I'm not sure anymore
> if we do it right in client_java:
>
> In the current implementation of Summary we have:
>
>    - Count: Total number since application start.
>    - Sum: Total number since application start.
>    - Quantiles: Sliding time window, by default rotated every 10 minutes.
>
> The Created timestamp is constant and refers to the application startup.

Created is for when a given child is created, which can be after this, and
that's how it's coded:
https://github.com/prometheus/client_java/blob/master/simpleclient/src/main/java/io/prometheus/client/Summary.java#L301

> That means, the Created timestamp is correct for Count and Sum, but
> incorrect for the Quantiles, as the Quantiles are max 10 minutes old.

It relates to the count/sum, not the quantiles. Same as for counters and
histograms.

> I'm wondering: Is this how the Created timestamp for Summary metrics is
> supposed to be implemented?

Unless I messed up, it is implemented correctly in client_java.

Brian

--
Brian Brazil
www.robustperception.io