Not all collectors are available on all platforms – in many cases, due to
the platform dependent code, they won't even compile. This structure allows
us to selectively compile the various collector files, and those that are
getting compiled register themselves.

Additionally, this structure allows third party software to re-use the
collectors, for example as part of a bundled "one binary to rule them all"
style uber-exporter.

/MR