Hi,

Great question from the CNCF Slack: What's the reason why we don't allow
Exemplars for _count in Summary metrics?

Use case: Java's Micrometer provides a Summary with just a _count and a
_sum as the default metric for HTTP services. The _count has the HTTP
status code as a label, so these metrics are great for request rates and
error rates (and for average latencies if you have nothing better).

However, there's currently no way to have exemplars. It would be nice to
have them, for example for investigating erroneous calls. If the _count was
an explicit counter, and not part of a summary, Exemplars would be
supported.

What do you think? Any reason why Exemplars don't work in _count in
Summaries? Would that be something we could consider supporting?

Fabian