On 05 Oct 11:22, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> historically, https://prometheus.io/docs/ has been a reference.
>
> The plan from early this year was to split docs into sections for
> reference, human-readable, and tutorials, and then start filling out
> the human-readable version.
>
> Within Docs WG[1] we realized that we're blocking ourselves. We're
> front-loading huge amounts of work which no one of us can
> realistically perform in the site setup. On the content side, we carry
> huge PRs which are always out of date and a pain to review - without a
> public way to find and use them as they're targetting a branch
> deploying to an obscure netlify instance, not prometheus.io.
>
> At the same time, I strongly believe we're doing ourselves and the
> wider community a disservice by optimizing for experts instead of new
> and intermediate users.
>
> As such, we would like to propose flipping it around: Optimize docs/
> for new and intermediate users, and do reference at reasonable effort.
> This also means that the people volunteering within Docs WG get to
> work on what they care about most, and anyone who really wants the
> reference can submit a PR to split it out from current HEAD into a
> clean structure alongside the human-friendly version.

I do not understand "do reference at reasonable effort".

I think that we already do the reference pretty good. Everything that is
versionned in the prometheus repo itself is the reference.
This is the "expert" documentation, and we do better than a reasonable
effort, every new pull request in prometheus should have its
documentation in order, so the reference should stay good.

I think the "onboarding" documentation should *not* be tied to
Prometheus versions and should be managed independently from the
Prometheus configuration, in the actual "github.com/prometheus/docs"
repository.

--
Julien Pivotto
@roidelapluie