I don't understand your problem: "up" works fine for scraping snmp_exporter.

If your scrape job is named "snmp" (say), then the PromQL query

    up{job="snmp"}

will show you snmp targets as up or down.  (If, as you say, they are
visible in the "Targets" in the UI, then you can see here exactly what
"job" label to look for)