Adding a constant label to every timeseries should have almost zero impact
on memory usage.

Can you clarify what you're saying, and how you've come to your diagnosis?
What version of prometheus are you running? When you say "backends" in the
plural, how have you set this up?

At one point you seem to be saying it's something to do with ingestion, but
then you seem to be saying it's something to do with queries (*"Without
this filter, the queries run reasonably well"*). Can you give specific
examples of filters which show the difference in behaviour?

Again: the queries
  my_series{global_label="constant-value",  l1="..", l2=".."}
  my_series{l1="..", l2=".."}
should perform almost identically, as they will select the same subset of
timeseries.