Your "targets" under "static_configs" don't include a port number, so they
won't match your regex.  Therefore, you can either add :443 to the targets,
or you could do

    relabel_configs:
      - source_labels: [__address__]
        target_label: instance

Your second test config will likely create scraping errors as you'll end up
with duplicate metrics all sharing the same label sets with
{instance="foo"}.  But if you make your scrape job have a single target, it
ought to work, and I don't know why it doesn't.

Are you using regular prometheus directly, or via some docker / helm
chart?  The problem might be with the latter.