Hello all,

Recently we found that our samples are all lost. After some investigation,
we found:
1, we are using prometheus agent to send all data to prometheus server by
remote write
2, the agent sample sending code is in storage\remote\queue_manager.go, the
function is sendWriteRequestWithBackoff()
3, inside the function, if attempt(the function where request is made to
prometheus server) function returns an Recoverable Error, then it will
retry sending the request
4, when a Recoverable error is returned? one scenario is the prometheus
server returned 5xx error
5, I think not every 5xx error is recoverable, and there is no other way to
exit the for loop in sendWriteRequestWithBackoff(). The agent keeps
retrying but every time it receives an 5xx from the server. so we lost all
samples for hours until we restart the agent

So my question is why 5xx from the promtheus server is considered
Recoverable? And I believe there should be a way to exit the loop, for
example a maximum times to  retry.

It seems that the agent mode is not mature enough to work in production.