Hi Hendrik

Thanks for looking at this! Pierre and I had investigated a few ideas, you can still see some code remains in coq.el from some old attempts that partly worked (auto-compile-vos), but it seemed that Coq users were never hugely interested in the feature.

There is some code to take action after a require has been processed, but, as you say, maybe something should be done just before as well to check compiled files are up to date. I'm not sure whether the file save/load hooks would be more appropriate than a hook run when command is queued, or whether connecting to standard Emacs make mechanisms would be sensible. For your way, maybe the standard proof-shell-insert-hook would work? This runs when a command is actually sent to the process, versus when it is queued.

Anyway, would be very happy to get this working with latest Coq and accept a patch. Maybe discussing further on our Trac would be best, there is this ticket here:

  http://proofgeneral.inf.ed.ac.uk/trac/ticket/363

Best wishes,

- David