David Aspinall <david.aspin...@ed.ac.uk> writes:

   I think the file-load/save is a quite natural time to do this since it
   may interrupt the developer anyway and we try not to query the
   developer when sending commands in the background (so they can be
   looking at other parts of the script).

I am not so concerned any more about asking the user when sending
commands in the background. The reason is that it doesn't make
much sense to decide about recompilation on a per-file basis. I
expect that most users will either disable recompilation from
ProofGeneral or set it to "automatic" mode, where ProofGeneral
recompiles without asking back.

The "confirmation" mode, where ProofGeneral is asking for
confirmation before recompiling is probably only useful for new
users, to give them an impression about what is going on.