This is not entirely true. The backtrack mechanism of coq/pg is more robust
than that, thanks to state numbers of coq you can undo most invisible
commands by going back to a point in the file that was scripted before the
invisble command. However LoadPath is probably not part of the undo model
and Coq does not retract them when going back to a previous state.

Hendrik I don't understand why you need to add a load path by yourself. The
user should have put -I options to coqtop from the beginning, no? Or they
should have put LoadPath in there files. Or is it that you want to parse the
required file itself??

I would suggest you do not try to alter coqtop options, as users already
know how to do that. I recommend using file variables in each coq file and
restart coq when changing file so that the correct command line is used. As
you said: in coq one must retract a file before starting a new one, so
restarting Coq is not a problem: it takes no time.

So I plan to use your feature by using another file variable:

(*
*** Local Variables: ***
*** coq-prog-name: "coqtop"  ***
*** coq-prog-args: ("-I" "." "-I" "../../ALEA/src")  ***
*** coq-load-path: ("../../ALEA/src") ***
*)

The only improve I see is to use coq-load-path to set coq-prog-args when
opening a new file.

P.