Thinking again on this:

> This optimisation becomes desirable because we have the situation with the
> implementation that the control over ancestor files is fine-grained (i.e.
> during scripting the file rather than at the start by parsing "imports" which
> the included files behaviour assumed).  I think you made this decision for
> implementation ease as well as accuracy, but  if you want now to
> automatically retract things further than target region in certain cases,
> that definitely looks like a Coq-specific function.

Actually, I realised that we do have the retraction behaviour you described for
Isabelle already...

If the current Coq mechanism is using
proof-register-possibly-new-processed-file, we could make the retraction
operation you want generic, but we'd need to implement the span based mechanism
(i.e. recording the included files in the Require-like span) in the generic
code too.

It doesn't seem worth doing this generically because, at least for Isabelle, we
had already decided to put the dependency management in the prover.  Isabelle
issues messages like "Proof General, you can unlock file XXX.thy" that are
obeyed dumbly by PG.  So the span based mechanism would conflict/overlap with
that.

Another way to get the behaviour for Coq might have been to implement a wrapper
around coqtop that spits out these messages at appropriate points, and hope
that the Coq code could be patched at some point.

 - D.