Essentially it's defunct.  Isabelle 2014 uses some of the messages e.g.,
for configuring options on start up.  But if we're dropping support for
older Isabelle versions then it can be removed.

I would be sad to see support for other provers being taken away though.
 We put a lot of effort into making it easy to configure Proof General
to use with CLI tools (even bash).  Maybe the script management code
could be refactored into a standalone mode.  I still see people in
conferences cutting and pasting text into command lines!

 - D.