On 26 Jan 2009, at 19:34, Rob Arthan wrote:

Many thanks to Phil for this. I will try to devise a work-around for this bizarre behaviour of dash, which seems to be based on a misreading of the POSIX standard as far as I can see.

Further investigation reveals that it is POSIX that is bizarre and that dash just meekly conforms!

I have created a new alpha-release that should fix the problem with eval, but unfortunately, while I have tested it on Mac OS X and an old Mandrake Linux, I probably won't be able to try it on Ubuntu myself until next week. It is in:

http://www.lemma-one.com/ProofPower/getting/versions/ OpenProofPower-2.8.1a14.tgz