Rob Arthan wrote:
b) Try running it under the gnu debugger, gdb. To do this run the command:

gdb /usr/local/pp/bin/pp

I'm guessing Rob meant /usr/local/pp/bin/xpp

[Aside to Phil: when xpp runs in the background, gdb won't follow xpp through the fork
unless you do clever things that have never worked for me: it will just say that the
process exited normally. As it is fairly rare that running in the background makes any
difference, I usually try debugging with "-b" first. You don't need to single
step with gdb if the failure you are expecting is a signal like a segmentation fault, gdb
will trap the signal and prompt for commands.]

Thanks, that's useful to know.

Phil