Phil,

On 15 May 2011, at 19:28, Phil Clayton wrote:

> This sounds very useful - only today I was having to introduce lambda terms
> for rewriting to match with... but in Z, not HOL.

Presumably this is to use theorems involving Z applications?

> Will these higher-order matching/rewriting facilities be implemented for Z
> also? If not, does the updated rewriting infrastructure support a
> corresponding implementation for ProofPower-Z?

The infrastructure will support any way of turning a theorem into a pair
comprising a pattern term and a conversion to apply to terms that match the
pattern. But bear in mind that higher-order matching for HOL just won't work
for Z. If you are designing theorems specifically for use as higher-order
rewrite rules, it might be simpler to write them in a mixture of HOL and Z so
you can use higher-order matching.

> I can see Z has complications for lambda abstractions not over U but
> expecting the domain condition as per z_%beta%_conv seems ok.

I think you will find there are several other complications - not least of
which will be working out what higher-order matching for Z ought to do.

Regards,

Rob.