I meant to add that SML/NJ is 32 bit only so requires 32 bit libraries to build/run. On an x86_64 Fedora this can be achieved with

  yum install glibc-devel.i686 libgcc.i686

Also, inside use_terminal (ProofPower's real-eval-print loop), SML/NJ appears to require an additional semicolon before the standard output is flushed to the screen. It's only an issue if people are actually using SML/NJ interactively.

Phil