first of all when i enter /home/sarah/pp/bin/xpp it opens xpp and second
command that you tell me to try was
PPENVDEBUG=y /home/sarah/pp/bin/xpp it also open xpp...so then why when i enter
the command xpp -d example_zed
 says "printer not found, aborting"

how to make sure that ProofPower bin directory comes before the system bin
directories in the
PATH environment variable.

their is some path environment variable problem. i have also attached a file
please check it and reply
me. and also my proofpower intallation directory is  /home/sarah/pp

below are the errors that i am getting when i try to set the path
first and then enter the command xpp -d example_zed.polydb.

sarah@sarah-VGN-NW150J:~$ export PATH=/home/sarah/pp/bin
sarah@sarah-VGN-NW150J:~$ echo $PATH
/home/sarah/pp/bin
sarah@sarah-VGN-NW150J:~$ xpp -d example_zed.polydb
/home/sarah/pp/bin/pp: 1: /home/sarah/pp/bin/pp: basename: not found
/home/sarah/pp/bin/pp: 1: /home/sarah/pp/bin/pp: basename: not found
/home/sarah/pp/bin/pp: 1: /home/sarah/pp/bin/pp: expr: not found
/home/sarah/pp/bin/pp: 1: /home/sarah/pp/bin/pp: expr: not found
/home/sarah/pp/bin/pp: 1: /home/sarah/pp/bin/pp: dirname: not found
: cannot locate the ProofPower installation directory
sarah@sarah-VGN-NW150J:~$ export PATH=/home/sarah/pp/bin/xpp
sarah@sarah-VGN-NW150J:~$ echo $PATH
/home/sarah/pp/bin/xpp
sarah@sarah-VGN-NW150J:~$ xpp -d example_zed.polydb
Command 'xpp' is available in '/usr/bin/xpp'
The command could not be located because '/usr/bin' is not included in the PATH
environment variable.
xpp: command not found

thank you
sarah