Thanks for your help so far Rob.

> On 28 Apr 2016, at 22:01, Rob Arthan <r...@lemma-one.com> wrote:
>
>> I have managed to get Xcode installed now,
>
> Good.
>
>> but fail on step 2 of your prescription because the preferences in Xcode
>> doesn’t seem to have a download option.
>
> I am not sure an analogue of this step is necessary now. If it is, then I
> believe you do it from the command line with the following command:
>
>       xcode-select --install

That seems to be necessary, but the port of openmotif nevertheless fails.
port complains that:

xorg-libXt must be installed with +flat_namespace

Do you know which part of the preceding process installs org-libXt and how it
might be persuaded to do it differently?

It is possible that this problem is caused by a previous failed attempt to port
open motif when the command line tools were not in place, but I did do a port
clean openmotif to no avail.

Roger