Steve,

Assuming you are using a fairly recent release of Poly/ML (5.5.2 or later),
I think it is falling over because of an obsolete and now broken workaround
of a problem with polyc. This is making it try to link the ProofPower
executable with c++ rather than polyc and the c++ command line it
uses isn’t right for your system.

As it has got this far, I think polyc must actually be working properly. You
should be
able to work around the unwanted workaround by running configure like this:

PPPOLYLINKFLAGS="-o x" <any other environment settings you want> ./configure

Thanks for persevering with this. It’s very useful input for the next release.
Please let me know how you get on.