(I replied from the wrong email address which silently fails, trying again...)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [ProofPower] PP 3.1w7 installation problems with Fedora 24
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 16:31:29 +0100
From: Phil Clayton <phil.clay...@lineone.net>
To: proofpower@lemma-one.com

Hi Mark,

On 15/06/17 10:29, Mark Adams wrote:
Hi Phil,

On 15/06/2017 10:24, Phil Clayton wrote:
Can you try the following to make
sure you have the required packages installed:

  dnf install \
        gcc-c++ \
        texlive-latex texlive-epsf \
        ed \
        motif motif-devel \
        libXp-devel.x86_64 \
        libXext-devel.x86_64 \
        libXmu-devel.x86_64 \
        libXt-devel.x86_64 \
        xorg-x11-fonts-misc

and see how it goes with 3.1w7.

It all works now. I was missing texlive-epsf. I wonder whether/where it is documented anywhere that this is needed..

I think the system requirements just say that TeX/LaTeX is required and suggest Tex-Live or teTeX installations. The issue here is that TeX-Live is provided by several Fedora packages, presumably because it is so large, that are not all installed by default. If every Tex-Live package was installed, this wouldn't be an issue. There should have been an error message saying "can't find espf.sty" or similar in the log file for dtd017.

Incidentally, if I try building ProofPower 3.1w6 with Poly/ML 5.6, I get further still in processing dev.mkf, but it fails this time with:

  Compiling (code) imp002.sml
  dev.mkf:349: recipe for target 'imp002.ldd' failed
  make: *** [imp002.ldd] Error 1

I don't know why 3.1w6 doesn't build with Poly/ML 5.6.  What does the
log file for imp002 say?

Which log file?

The one with the output from processing imp002.doc, which will probably be called imp002.ldd (as this is the target mentioned in the Make error above) but could be called imp002.err. It should be the last modified file in the list given by
  ls -ltr src/*/* | tail

Phil

Cheers,
Mark.