Hi,

I'm using Prosody for a Jitsi-Meet installation that is fairly detailed
here: https://github.com/jitsi/jicofo/issues/22#issuecomment-143686744
<https://github.com/jitsi/jicofo/issues/22#issuecomment-143073738>
When enabling mod_auth_ldap module I can login using a XMPP client like
Jitsi, Empathy or Pidgin. However, when I try Jitsi-Meet, I get the
following error in prosody.log:

Sep 28 10:03:46 boshed479f56-6a3b-420c-b330-00c1b4ea4bc6        debug
Received[c2s_unauthed]: <auth mechanism='PLAIN'
xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'>
Sep 28 10:03:46 sasl    debug   Username or password violates SASLprep.
Sep 28 10:03:46 videokonf.domain.com:saslauth   debug   sasl reply: <failure
xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'><malformed-request/><text>Invalid
username or password.</text></failure>

I've narrowed it down to accounts with a password containing non-english
characters like swedish åäö or ÅÄÖ which is part of our alphabet. When
trying a user with a not-so-complex password, the login works fine.
However, I cannot rely on our users to choose a password not containing the
letters åäö or ÅÄÖ since they are a part of our alphabet. I have no idea as
of now if other characters are met with the same error message.

I have two problems:

1. Why in name of [random deity] does a login failure like this only get
reported in debug mode? :) I've spent like three days on this before I
noticed the error message. :/

2. I need this fixed in some way because these letters might be used by a
number of our users. So how can I do this? It seems to be this file:
https://github.com/bjc/prosody/blob/master/util/sasl/plain.lua that reports
the error. How to fix it however, I have no idea.

Kindest regards,
Mathias