On 11:27 AM 5/02/2002 +1100, Geoff Harland said:
> > Is there any possibility to pass parameters of process "PCB:LibraryBrowse"
> > (Footprint and Library parameters) ?
> > I run this BASIC script (something like that):
> > ResetParameters
> > RunProcess ("PCB:LibraryBrowse)
> > GetStringParameter ("Footprint", a$)
> > and so on...
> > The paramameter doesn't seem to be passed.
>
>You can pass parameters (and parameter values) *to* Processes, but as far as
>I know, it is not possible to read (parameter) values *from* Processes
>though. (I have an idea that one or two functions, of a special purpose
>nature, can return values, but that is a different story.)

Processes certainly can return data in the parameter string.  And some
processes do.  But Geoff, you are right that not all processes were
designed to return parameters.

The documentation is poor in that it doesn't clearly say which (if any) are
return parameters.

The limitations of the Protel macro language are large.  There are many
cases where a small improvement in capability would make a huge difference
in functionality.  The lack of return parameters when querying things like
libraries and footprints and components on the board etc is one.

My guess is that the PCB:LibraryBrowse is not designed to return a
parameter and there for the above code will not work.

Of course there is *much* greater with the Delphi based SDK where in theory
anything can be done (but in practice some of the more esoteric aspects are
still masked).

Ian Wilson

* To leave this list visit:
* Forum Guidelines Rules: