At 12:29 PM 8/02/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello,
>is there a way to program servers with the SDK-Files for Protel in C or C++?
>At work we have only C and C++-Compilers but no Delphi.
>I would be happy about any hint.
>Thank you for your interest and help
>bye
>    miro

Miro,

For some time now I have been considering the feasibility of using of
writing header files to allow Protel to be used in C++.  It is a daunting
project and one that would be needing a large amount of investment (in
time) with only a fairly small final user base.  I decided in the end that
it was cheaper buying Delphi (which I do not like much), than spending the
time on the project.

There is a open source version of an Object Pascal-like language (the
language behind Delphi) that may be able to successfully create servers.
www.freepascal.org I think.  But again the time spent on getting the
interfaces to work would, I guess be more than the cost of Delphi -
especially as you probably qualify for a Delphi cross-grade pricing. But
beware, due to the idiotic manner in which Delphi manages libraries you
need Delphi 5 to develop for P99SE SP6.  Delphi 6 is not supported - has
anyone hacked this to make D6 work to develop servers for P99SE Sp6?

Protel originally said the P99SE would allow development of C++ servers but
this seemed to be dropped at about the time of release.

If you can hold off I would wait and see what the programming interface to
the next version of Protel is and then make a decision.  I have had no
discussion with anyone on this subject but I would not be surprised to see
a different programming interface.

Ian Wilson

* To leave this list visit:
* Forum Guidelines Rules: