Hi Bill,

Brooks,Bill wrote:
Have you seen anyone make a significant breakthrough in the approach
to routing a board that would change the way we even think about
routing?

Only larger novel (also known as old, but unused) idea I recall was flood-routing. Router that did not route traces, but spaces. Never seen in commercial product.

I have always envisioned a router that would virtually route the
board real time and allow the designer to pick up a part and move it
and have the routing done a few milliseconds later flowing in around
the part dynamically, rerouting as you go... dragging a part would
change the routing in a fluid manner to optimized trace paths that
followed the electrical and physical rule sets.

Not impossible, specially as computing resources grow (have heard that "faster computers will give faster programs" story before?). I have a dream of autorouter working in networked computing grid, something like what is possible with ASIC synthesis/simulation, distributed compiling (C) and 3D rendering nowadays.

Ah... but I am a dreamer.

Not the only one.

Indrek

--
 Indrek Rebane           |      Borthwick-Pignon
 Electronics Engineer    |    Tartu Science Park