Paul,
        You don't say which version of Protel you are using, so I'm going to
assume 99SE. If you haven't allready done so, from the PCB go File/Print
Preview. From there select the Browse PCBPrint tab. Right click on the layers
you don't want and delete them e.g. TopOverlay to get rid of package outlines.
Right click on the Printout and select Properties. Set the printout properties
to Black & White. Print it.

If thats too brief then email again and I'll fill in the assumptions I have
made.

Regards,

Rob Malos,
Cyborg Design.