Gene Silvernail wrote:

> What gives with global string replacement
> ................it's flat confusing......or.....doesn't work 100%
>
> I simply wanted to change Lib Ref in a resistor in the PCB.Lib I'm using.
> I made the changes in the Lib...Clicked UPDATE SCHEMATICS and
> it didn't update them.

The most likely problem is that there is more than one part with the same
name in the several libraries open.  I'm not sure how it decides which
part with the same name should be used to update parts in your
schematic sheets, but it generally isn't the one you want!  So, close all
but the one library you are working in at the moment, and it usually helps.

> All of this was done with inter-change saving of
> documents...caution. Having failed this is when I tried another round
> with PROTELS GLOBAL SMOBAL MUMBO JUMBO
>
> Using PROTEL 99SE SP6

Never had much trouble with global string replace.

Are you trying to do a back annotate?  That's what it sounds like when you
say you changed someting in a PCB library.  Back annotate is totally
different from update schematic parts from schematic library.

Jon