Glennster wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am working on an RF design which has 2 boards, essentially a "sandwich".
>
> The bottom board has the digital stuff and 18 relays.  The relays have
> physical connections on the top and bottom of the case (Coil on the bottom
> and contacts on the top). The top board has all the nasty RF.
>
> There is also a 4 pin header connecting the 2 boards together.
>
> I have footprinted the relays in 2 parts, coil and contacts.
>
> What is the best way to ensure that the 2 boards mate exactly.  When
> assembled, the top board goes down on top of the relays with the contacts
> sticking through the PCB and is soldered on the top along with the header.

If the relay has a pin (or pad) in the same position top and bottom, then you
could check alignment of that pad.  If not, you could add a pad on an unused
layer in the same relative position for each part of the footprint, and
compare
the coordinates of those pads.  I don't know of any automated way to handle
this in Protel, and have faced the same problem with connectors that go
between boards.  I manually check the coordinates between the two boards,
and do a light table overlay of check prints of the two boards to detect
gross errors that escape the first test (like 1.000 inch offset between the
two parts).

Jon