On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:58:12 -1000, you wrote:

>One item I would like to see added to PCB is the use of a wild card (and a
>range) when placing components etc.
>i.e. 'edit' 'move' 'Component' U*.  This would allow the user to place all
>designated components starting with the lowest value of U and progress
>upward to the last, or moving components individually within the designated
>range.

I am not sure this is such a big deal. In move component mode if you click
on nothing you are prompted to select or type the component designator.

When I am doing this on 1st pass placement I am generally looking at the
schematic and picking components by proximity not numerical order.

>From memory the ActivePlace add on does something like you suggest but the
component 'order' is derived from connectivity in the netlist.

If I could be bothered to figure out how it all works I suspect use of
component rooms and automatically moving components to those rooms would
help a lot with initial placement.

Cheers, Terry.