Hello Glenn,

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am working on an RF design which has 2 boards, essentially a "sandwich".
>
> The bottom board has the digital stuff and 18 relays.  The relays have
> physical connections on the top and bottom of the case (Coil on the bottom
> and contacts on the top). The top board has all the nasty RF.
>
> There is also a 4 pin header connecting the 2 boards together.
>
> I have footprinted the relays in 2 parts, coil and contacts.
>
> What is the best way to ensure that the 2 boards mate exactly.  When
> assembled, the top board goes down on top of the relays with the contacts
> sticking through the PCB and is soldered on the top along with the header.
>
> Any input is greatly appreciated!

I create 3-D models of projects I am working on. It's the easiest, most
fool-proof way I have of making sure the electronic stuff and the mechanical
stuff are: a) Physically correct as separate entities; and b) Going to mate
together without misalignment or not collide with stuff I didn't even think
would be in the picture.

Of course as in footprints, it helps to use complete up-to-date manufacturers
data when creating models.

Though I now use SolidWorks, back in The Day my choices were to use a
mechanical hand drawing and taped PCB artwork overlay method. Then came the
AutoCAD drawing and PCB artwork overlay method.

Good luck,
Mel
--
Melvin "Stoney" Burk Jr.