On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:40:50 -0600, Frank Gilley wrote:
>Tim,
>
>At 10:15 AM 2/8/01 -0600, you wrote:
>>That's because the system resources that are monitored are not related to
>>the total memory that you have.  It measures the amount of system table area
>>that is remaining.  And that is a fixed and very small size by today's
>>software requirements.  I think it totals to 64K, the amount addressable by
>>a 16-bit word offset.
>
>True.  At least mostly.  I know the 64K thing used to be the actual number,
>I thought I heard that they upped the size somewhat.. but that might just
>be my imagination.

Yes, starting with Win95 they separated the system heaps (stacks) into three
64K areas: Kernel, GDI, and User. Better than Win 3.1, but still not anywhere
near enough for todays bloated programs (not to mention the OS!) and serious
multitasking.

>>That's one of the big improvements of Win2000 - no more limited system
>>resource problems.
>
>Can anyone confirm this?  I hadn't heard this about NT5 (Win2K)  If this is
>true, I'm gonna upgrade tomorrow.  Protel and I and a couple of other apps
>go round and round with resources.

Yes, Win2K has virtually unlimited system resources. Win2K will slow down
somewhat when you exhaust PHYSICAL memory resources, but at least it will use
virtual (disk space) memory and not crash when it runs out of physical space
like Win98. Win2K LOVES physical RAM. I wouldn't run Win2K on anything less
than 256K (all my systems running Win2K have 512MB). The more, the better --
and the happier you'll be.

If you CAN run Win2K, I'd highly recommend it.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems