Protel 'power planes' go forever.
I place primitives like tracks or area fills on the power planes to create
clearances.
Remember that primitives on power planes are 'anti-copper', and this will
also produce a warning when you run a drc.
I often also pull in the power planes more than the ground planes (by 20H,
H=plane separation)to reduce EMI fringeing effects. You also may want to use
this method to remove plane copper from under I/O isolating devices.
So apart from a simple clearance to the board edge,(which would be a nice
feature, and would have saved you in this case) this would not be possible
to automate.

regards,

Phil.

Phil Dutton C.I.D.