At 01:01 PM 2/14/01 -0800, Brad Velander wrote:
>Dennis,
>         can you be more specific in your "learning" the board? I think I
>know what you mean but I am not exactly sure there is not some other process
>that I don't know about. Do you mean generating a netlist from the existing
>board connections? Could you elaborate on the exact steps to do this?

Let me translate.

By "learn the board," he meant, as he said, executing Design/Netlist
Manager/Menu/Update Free Primitives from Component Pads; but that is pretty
useless when a board has been cleared, since there are no nets assigned to
pads, nor to track in that case. He knew that but didn't want to go back
and correct what he had written, so he simply said "orders possibly
differing from above." I.e., load the net list before updating the primitives.

>note that during the above procedures no design rules were touched or
>any changes made other than the above steps

It may also be useful to use Tools/Reset Error Markers to clear out the
errors; but one could also run the DRC, which automatically clears out old
markers. Do this *after* updating the primitives.

If you've still got errors, you've got real errors or bad rules, almost
certainly.

>I would be careful that before the board is shipped you can just re-load
>the netlist without problems since "learning" the board can introduce
>unintended issues

I haven't seen this lately from Update. But it is a very good idea to
reload the netlist before shipping off the files. If there are no macros
created, then there are no deviations from the netlist. If there are macros
created, you better understand exactly why they are there....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433