I have found that I can avoid the relocated overbars by ensuring
that PDFwriter is configured to embed all fonts, with no exclusions.
It makes the PDF a bit bigger, but at least I have a distributable
schematic!

On the subject of naming conventions, we have numerous CAD packages
here (IC design (full custom and gate array), circuit simulation and
modelling, plus PCB level systems design). When moving data from one
package to another, one quickly learns that just about the only safe
non-alphanumeric character to use is underscore. So negated signals
are named:

SIGNALNAME_n

[Other rules include: first character must be alpha (not numeric);
all similar signals named consistently (for easy searching and
grouping e.g. all clocks are CLK_NAME1, CLK_NAME2, etc.); ...]

Underscore has the problem that it is often obscured when used as
a net name in Protel, however we've had no problems with readability
because any "gap" in the readable text must be an underscore. So net
names like CLK_80MHZ_MODEM work just fine.

Cheers,

JohnH