I don't see how this is so. If for example there is a typo on the port on a
single sheet, that connectivity still doesn't flow through whether the ports
are global or not. A good reason to *not* use global ports is it allows you
to use the same port name in more than one place, and also allows duplicates
of the same sheet more easily. I also like using a hierarchical design with
increasing amounts of detail as you delve into the hierarchy. IMO this makes
a complex design much more readable.

Global ports/net names is analogous to global variables in programming.

Cheers,
MvdW