Terry,
        I can feel for your pain brother, what a ridiculous bureaucratic
nightmare. Obviously this one engineer caused you endless grief and pain,
did any of the other engineers ever do a study on the Component Authority
and show how he was costing the company L40,000 per component approval? One
must remember to use the same tools that management uses against us to show
where your problems are crimping development and especially delaying
development schedules. You know, use the old product cycle curve to show
that two weeks delay will result in a loss of 1+ million pounds over the
life of the product? Possibly you could obsolete your Component Authority
shortly after he had got himself set-up in the position and you had time to
gather a few real examples to demonstrate your beef against the process.
        You will note that in my explanation I did not specify a singular
librarian or component CAD designer. Where possible this should be a shared
responsibility, possibly with a senior designer acting as a quick check
point before the components are released upon the world. The senior designer
would also act to determine who was qualified/unqualified to create new
components in the first place. The tertiary function of the this senior
designer would be to see that all of the staff received suitable training on
the creation of CAD library components so that the individuals are qualified
to create their own component requirements within the company guidelines or
requirements. I am a firm believer in empowerment, not officious management.

Sincerely,

Brad Velander
Lead PCB Design
Norsat International Inc.