At 04:32 PM 3/23/01 -0600, Heart wrote:

>Copper weight Minimum trace width Minimum gap
>1 oz. 5 5
>2 oz. 7 7
>3 oz. 12 8
>4 oz. 12 10

Those seem decent to me. You might want larger values if impedance and
density permit. However, I wonder, what is "1 oz." copper. Is it before or
after plating? Is it inner layer or outer layer copper?

On inner layers where plating is not an issue, 0.5 oz is common. So you
need to know their values for 0.5 mil copper if you are going to do multilayer.

Further, at the PCB Conference a fabricator told me "We do 3/3." I said
"Great. But what is the knee on the yield curve?" He said, "About 5 or 6 mils."

In other words, you can get 3 mils track and space, but it will cost you an
arm and a leg and don't ask them to do it quickly.

If you can, design for good yield. Don't push the technology unless it is
absolutely necessary. Ask the fabricator what numbers are *easy* for them,
that is, increasing them would not increase cost and yield.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433