On 11:05 AM 26/03/2001 +0100, Cliff Lawrence said:
>Hi all,
>Is there any way of storing irregular or custom pad shapes / definitions
>in Protel. I often have a requirement for placing odd shaped pads on
>footprints and it would be nice if they could be directly placed from
>the Place menu rather than individually created each time.
>TIA
>
>Cliff Lawrence
>ARCAM

I suggest you keep a PCB which has your odd shaped pads and the copy and
paste them into the PCBLibrary docuemt as you need them when creating the
new footprint.  There is no library of pads (there used to be in ancient
versions of Protel but not recently) and Protel does not have an entity for
an odd-shaped pads.  Pads are only regular shapes (rounded, rectangle,
octagonal) - to make odd shaped pads as i suspect you are aware requires
extra fills (preferred if you use the autorouter) and/or tracks along with
appropriate details on the relevant mask and paste layers.

Storing odd-shaped pads as components (in a PCBLib) is another option and
the copy and paste as you create a new component.

Either way it will be a copy-and-paste.

Alternatively you could try to see what you could do with a macro but I
would surprised if you do that many of the same odd-shaped pad that it
would be worth taking the time to develop such a macro.  With a full on
server you could do it of course - could even have a library of pad
definitions read from a text file or from a DDB and make a new place pad
process including pick box etc.  How far do you want to go?  How much time
would the capability save you over the cut-and-paste method?

Ian
Considered Solutions Pty Ltd     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ABN: 96 088 410 002
5 The Crescent
CHATSWOOD   2067
Ph: +61 2 9411 4248   Fax: +61 2 9411 4249

* To join or leave this list visit: