From: Andrew J Jenkins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 2:42 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Memory Error

On 01:20 PM 3/26/01 -0600, Ted Tontis said:
>         I am running Protel 99SE SPK6 on W2K. After closing Protel down
and
>open another application that takes up a large amount of memory, I get a
>memory error.  This is the first time I opened the task manager to see what
>was eating all the memory. I found Protel was still sucking memory even
>though it was closed.

It was not, in fact closed, but had crashed. This actually happens quite
often with Protel, at least under W95, NT4, and Win2k. I run into to it
frequently, and I suspect that many others do, though I also suspect that
they have no idea that it's happening most of the time.
The program is choking on exit. IMO, it's just more of Delphi's
questionable memory management (spelled: heap fragmentation errors galore)
scheme at work, showing off it's prowess at causing problems. I know of
only one other applications in my experience which shows the same
proclivity towards these errors, and it is also written in...you guessed
it...Delphi. "Programmers like it!" is not the same thing as "stable" or
"dependable" or "enjoyed by the end-user". Hmm.. that one ought'a generate
a few snarling flames...<g>

In terms of the immediate reoccurrence of this problem (which indeed I do
NOT experience with any regularity), have you contacted Protel directly on
the issue yet? If not, do so now.

!!!!! But first...

On the chance that this problem has already been addressed by Protel, which
service pack is your system operating under? I hope I am about to read
"SP6, of course!"

regards,

Andrew J Jenkins. NCMR @ NASA-GRC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The opinions expressed herein are soley mine and do not represent the views
of my employer, nor the views of its employer. This email and its content
may
not be redistributed to ANY third party for ANY reason without first
securing a
signed authorization from the author. Failure to abide by these terms may
result in legal remediation against the offending party, at the sole
discretion
of the author. This is not public domain information. Standard commercial-
use disclaimers apply. Commercial use requires author approval.  If you
cannot
abide by the full aspect of this disclaimer, immediately delete the message,
as you have no rights to its contents.

* To join or leave this list visit: