From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 11:20
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEDA] Creating Assembly Drawings

Hi,
I'm working to define our internal process to document boards for
production.
 Specifically, I'm having a difficult time generating assembly drawings.

After much discussion, we decided the best path is to use AutoCAD.  It
allows
a great deal of flexibility to scale, rotate,  and position the details for
improving communication with the production staff.  I use Gerber files
converted to DXF  via Camtastic.

Here's the problem.  AutoCAD is dirt slow when it comes to redrawing the
screen.  A simple two layer board takes seconds to redraw with only the
silk-screen layer imported.  The entire layout in Protel or Camtastic is
very
quick to redraw.  It's killing the process.

Questions:
1.)  Is there any way to improve the redraw speed in AutoCAD short of moving

from my P3, 600Mhz, 256M RAM to a faster computer?

2.) How do others generate documentation?

3.) Any other recommendations?

Thank you,
Steve Allen
Project Engineer