At 05:28 PM 4/2/01 -0700, Kirk Haderlie wrote:
>I placed fills on an internal plane and checked the keepout box.  I assumed
>that the keepout woulds void the copper on the internal plane when gerbers
>were created. It did not.

When you check the keepout box, you are instructing Protel not to plot the
primitive, but only to use it for the purpose of keeping tracks or other
copper features out of the area.

However, as Mr. Wilson explained, internal planes are negative layers. To
remove copper you must plot the primitive. If you uncheck the keepout box,
you will see that your void is there on the plots. Any non-keepout
primitive placed on an internal plane will remove copper and is, in that
sense, already a "keepout."

It would be interesting to experiment and see what the effect of an
internal plane keep out is on other primitives. If an inner plane "track"
crosses an internal plane keepout "track," will an error be
generated?  don't have time to check at the moment.

Protel never dreamed that anyone would put a keepout on an inner plane,
that is, anyone who knows what an inner plane is.

Inner planes are not DRC'd except to warn where split planes intersect or
there are other primitives on the plane. This is because checking an inner
plane is not computationally simple. It can be done -- Wolfgang's tool
(Router Solutions) can check internal planes -- but it is ... complicated.
If you are depending on an inner plane for connection, there is presently
no way -- in Protel -- to verify that a connection has actually been made;
the connection might be broken if a pad is, for example, surrounded by vias
close enough together so that the blowouts completely surround the pad with
no-copper. Or if one has placed free primitives, such as the fill
mentioned, on the plane layer, that isolate the pad.

This is a major gap in Protel's DRC. Let me hasten to mention that most CAD
programs likewise do not check plane continuity.

Back in the tape and mylar days, in the last decade, I worked for a large
company as a design checker; they had a Calma CAD system, in its own temple
with controlled access, the major part of a million dollars in hardware and
software *plus* the very substantial overhead. We checked negative planes
manually; we also drew the layouts manually and they were digitized by the
priests. I made a suggestion, I don't know if they ever took it: make the
inner planes by photocombination: dedicate a layer to a tie trace that
would cross all the pads to be connected (basically an ordinary inner
layer) and photomerge this with a blown-out negative of the pads. This is
essentially what I used to do to create a negative plane with tape and
mylar. Forget cutting little circles in rubylith, which was a bad idea from
the start (except for creating large blown-out areas on the negative).

I also used this technique to create complex split planes with Tango, which
did not directly support split planes. It DRCs; one only needs to ensure
that the tie traces do not cross the split plane boundaries; it's fine if
they bite into the boundaries, but if they cross into a foreign territory,
they will cause a short, which would not be detected. This could be
prevented with Protel by putting keepouts on the routing layer
corresponding to the negative plane splits.

Protel could greatly improve the efficiency of copper pours and at the same
time make inner planes DRC-able by implementing a photomerge technique.
Essentially, all the tools are present; they just need to be linked
together so that the primitives will be correctly processed. Note that
RS-274X supports positive/negative merges. I could write more....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433