At 03:58 PM 3/29/01 -0500, John Branthoover wrote:

>         Has any one else seen this phenomenon?  Shouldn't there be a pad
> everywhere
>there is a trace that passes through the board even on in internal signal
>layer?

Glad you asked. (Others have already answered but I may have another slant
on the matter.) I hadn't looked into this matter since Protel 98. In Protel
98, connectivity of an arc was only established at the arc endpoints. So if
you plopped a via down onto the arc where it did not touch an endpoint (a
full arc still has a single endpoint), the via would not pick up the arc's
net. This explains why dead pad removal on Gerbers did not plot that pad,
and likewise why they would not connect to an inner plane. The via had no
net assignment. If you manually edited the via to the proper net, or placed
it in contact with a primitive of the proper net (including an arc
endpoint) and then move it to its final position, it would have worked. I'm
not sure about DRC, but the plots would be correct.

Apparently this has been fixed in SP6: I just verified that a via dropped
anywhere on an arc picks up the net.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690