Dear Abdl,

Like you I recongnise the need to chose the right tools. However MOST
engineers don't have a choice in the EDA tools the use, having been selected
by someone else and a company with lots of investment in a certain tool is
not always keen to simly dump a tool for a better one.

However, in my case and for the firt time ever, I was responsible for
finding a new EDA tool for the company, to replace an existing older system.
I spent some time trying various different tools, looking at cost and
performance. Protel came out tops, it did all that ORCAD, it's nearest
rival, did and was cheeper! I was reallly pleased to find such a good EDA
tool at a good price. However it is not easy to find all the bugs (sorry
un-documented or un-implented features) in a 30 day period when you have a
bunch of other EDAs to review aswell. I am not so nieve to think that there
is an EDA tool out there without some 'bugs' and I realise that test and
de-bugging cost time and money. I am just a little frustrated at the number
of bugs that are being found by myself and my co-workers who use this tool
since we really started to use it. On balance I still stand by my choice.
Yesterday I had just too much crap coming my way because of Protel.

In regard to my problem, I have copied all our engineers with a copy of
Company templates database and the requisit company logo graphic and told
them to place it in the system directory in its own template directory. This
means that whenever and wherever a database is opened it looks for the
template and graphic and finds them where it expects to since all the
machines have the same set-up.

Problem solved.

TC