> Is there a reason to prefer Vdd over GND?  The spec sheets often just say
> "tied high or low...", and my knowledge of theory is too weak to even
guess
> at an answer. :)

Not really but I think I would prefer GND for no good reason. As Andy
Gulliver said it is preferable to
use a resistor of some arbitrary value to do this as it allows easier usage
of this unused gate when er I mean if
mods are required and the "spare" gate suddenly becomes necessary.

If left floating a CMOS input floats in the middle and is operating in the
linear zone - hence both mosfets
switched on = (relatively) high current conducted. The very high impedance
of this input makes it very
susceptible to any induced currents. This can be observed on a battery
backed memory card - if the
address lines and control lines are left floating (i.e. no pull down/up
resistors) when the RAMs are under
battery backed conditions simply placing ones hand near to the board can
severely affect the current consumption.
If you don't believe me try it.

* To join or leave this list visit: