Yea, most of the cheap cards I see are not PCI compliant. We have a cheap vid
card that works OK in 32/33 but in a 66Mhz slot it gets a bit weird...even
though the PCI interface is rated for 66Mhz.

If you've ever looked the PCI clock and signals on an active slot you'll see
why the spec is important. Reflected-wave switching requires careful
consideration of the loads placed in the circuit.

I've designed quite a few PCI cards and can tell you that the PCI spec is a
handy thing to have. Also, having your own PCI vendor ID is convenient for
custom FPGA stuff.For instance, our crypto card is recognized and configured
automatically by the OpenBSD kernel.

* To join or leave this list visit: