At 01:36 PM 4/4/01 +0100, you wrote:

>Why is it that when I create a template with a company logo graphic and use
>it for a schematic and then, when I send the databas to another person, the
>graphic image is no longer on the schematic? I have loaded a copy of the
>graphic image into the DB but I can't make the browser point at stuff inside
>the DB, only outside it.
>
>Anyone know what the problem is? anyone know what can be done to solve it?
>
>The more I use this product the less satisfied I am with it. It's a bit half
>baked.

Perhaps, but more often it is we who are half-baked.

In this case Protel does not embed the graphics into the file, and it does
not look for a file in the database when placing the graphic. I'd agree
that it should do the second of these, but this is a missing feature, not a
bug, per se. Send the logo graphic separately.

The database format is new and it looks like the routines to look inside a
database for a graphics file are simply not there. Since this has been
brought up before, perhaps we will see this in an upcoming service pack.
(If it hasn't already been fixed, I did not check, and the writer did not
say what SP level he has installed.)

Protel has a choice of one of two things: it can spend the time and money
to make sure that everything is perfect before releasing the product, or it
can release it with something short of perfection (i.e., with undiscovered
problems that are not found in beta-test or that would take too long to
fix). I'm glad that they chose the second option, because if they had
chosen the first, the product would either have an astronomical price, or,
more likely, it simply would not exist since the company would have gone
bankrupt long ago.

I'm a craftsman; when something goes wrong, I don't blame my tools. It's my
responsibility to choose tools adequate for the job, and to learn how to
use them, including all their quirks and foibles. And every tool has these.

If Protel were not readily and easily usable for accomplishing its purpose,
that would be a different matter; but, then again, none of us would be
keeping the software beyond the 90-day free return period. What I see is
that it is very difficult to find copies of Protel products for resale:
people hold on to them tightly. The other major CAD companies do not allow
resale. What does that tell you?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690