On 04:11 PM 6/04/2001 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>Solder masks are treated like power planes in Protel. The same applies to
>paste masks. Anything you place on these "layers" shows up negativ on the
>board. Place a fill on a paste mask, and this area will not be covered by
>paste on the finished PCB.

Actually this is not correct - since paste is a negative layer anything
placed on this layer will make a hole in the paste mask.

Suggestion: I have had use for a Negative Object. That is one that when
placed on a PCB or within a footprint causes the opposite effect for that
layer. A negative object on a normal layer would take away a chunk of
copper and on a negative layer would add back a chunk of whatever (mask,
plane, paste mask). I would be nice if this was a attribute of an entity
and so any entity could be a negative object.  I know this may be
non-trivial to implement and I know it may make DRC very much harder but in
the past Protel have quite a reasonable record of taking our suggestions
and filtering them into something workable for them and useable for
us.  One use for this object would be to prevent isolation of small plane
sections by a ring of nearby plane blowouts intersecting.

Any one else got a use for something like this?

(Some of you may be wondering why I am adding the suggestion stuff to the
subject.  Rob Malos is compiling a list of desired improvements.  In order
to make his life easy I am marking the subject accordingly and making the
suggestion(s) clear.)

Ian Wilson

* To join or leave this list visit:
*                      - or email -